What To Expect
When families must travel to New York for their child’s cancer treatment, Ronald McDonald House New York offers them a “home-away-from-home.”
Families will find that hope and smiles are everywhere in our House! Our residents often find comfort in each other, knowing that they understand the pain of having a very sick child. Families get much-needed support by sharing their common experiences.
There is nothing stronger or more important than the love a family shares, especially during such a difficult time. Donations make all that we offer possible — providing hope, healing, and love for families when it’s needed most.
Our private bedrooms are a comfortable place for families to rest at night so they can recharge and face the next day of treatment. Each room is equipped with two twin beds, a full-sized pull-out couch, a dresser, a closet, and a full private bathroom.
Families can also relax in our common areas, including the Macy’s Living Room, Blavatnik Family Foundation Wellness Center, John Shevel Outdoor Terraces, and library. Our chapel offers a place for spiritual reflection.
We also give seriously ill children something they can’t find anywhere else: a place to just be a kid. Children and their siblings love our playroom filled with toys and books, and our game room with the latest video game systems. Other favorite hangouts include our Teen Room, AOL Media Room, and music studio with guitars, drums, keyboards, and more.
Thanks to our stocked kitchen and the volunteers who provide home-cooked meals, families don’t have to worry about where their next meal is coming from. That means they can focus on important things, like being with their child during treatment. They can even use our kitchens to prepare their favorite foods. Each family is assigned into one of our four large kitchens, and are given a kitchen cabinet equipped with a lock and key. Our Parents Pantry program lets parents stock up on staples at no cost to them.
Ronald McDonald House New York, unfortunately, does not have a formal housekeeping department. All families are required to clean and maintain their rooms and kitchens on a regular basis.
Families can also use our laundry facilities or AOL Computer Room. Complimentary wi-fi is available throughout the property.
Families are eligible to stay at Ronald McDonald House New York if:
- Their child is currently undergoing active cancer treatment at one of our partner hospitals and
- They live outside of a 50-mile radius.
- Only a social worker at one of our partner hospitals can request a room.
- Requesting a room or receiving a confirmation number from a social worker does not guarantee a room.
- Families must confirm their reservation 72 hours in advance with our reservations coordinator.
- Any changes to a reservation, including a date change or extension, must be made through a social worker as well.
- For further inquiries regarding reservations, please call our Reservations Coordinator at 212.639.0200
What to Expect at Check-in
- Guests can check in any time after 8:00 a.m.
- We request $35.00 per night, per room, to stay at Ronald McDonald House New York.
- A deposit of $35.00 is required. (The deposit is either refunded or credited to the guest’s account at the end of their stay.)
- Guests must complete the registration process prior to being escorted to their room.
- All persons staying in the room must be listed at check-in.
- New families will receive a tour of the House upon check-in.
- Each family will receive two guest room access cards, as well as keys to their mailbox and kitchen.
- Required guest room fees are due weekly. As a courtesy, the House asks that guests notify registration staff at least 24 hours prior to departure in order to maintain House records. If a third party is assuming responsibility for payments, written documentation must be received before registration.
- Check-out should be completed by 2:00 p.m. Guests who check out after 2:00 p.m. will be charged a $35.00 late fee.
- Guests must clean their room before checking out. Rooms must be cleaned, vacuumed, and dusted. Towels and sheets should be washed. Bathrooms should be thoroughly cleaned. Wastebaskets should be emptied and relined.
- All assigned guest room property must be accounted for upon check-out.
- All medications must be emptied from the medication refrigerator.
- Assigned kitchen area must be cleaned and any unwanted food items must be discarded.
- Guests are required to inform the front desk when they are ready to check out. A staff member will inspect the guest room and kitchen area.
- Room key(s) shall be returned to the front desk.
- Any outstanding required guest room fees must be paid at this time.
Extension of Length of Stay
All room cards include a room number and an expiration date. At approximately 2:00 p.m. on the expiration date, room cards will no longer be valid. In order to avoid being denied access to a room, families must have their social worker call Reservations or provide them with a written statement from their doctor to extend the stay.